Wednesday, August 12, 2009

mardis nenno - indelible

mardis nenno - indelible
"Spark Detail"
Think of being on the hot seat. Uncomfortable and relentless. That is what it's like for the homeless kids I work with. When they're on the hot seat, it's not about being in any kind of trouble with authority. It's about stressing out over where they're going to find shelter for the night, how they're going to get food for the day and especially about how they perceive, sometimes rightly, that the entire adult world is against them, and they feel deep down that their situation is truly indelible.
I say this notion now because tonight I begin my work week of three twelve-hour nights with these kids. I look forward to it on most days. On other days I would rather sit on the winged chair and pretend that this society is truly for the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment