Monday, January 18, 2010

Though computers are handy. . .

Though I do not have Human skulls on my writing desk, I can relate to this picture due to the mix of the archaic and the mordern. How many young people of today know how to look through a phone book?
I've been having some serious difficulties with my computer, upon which is the Writing Project, and I can say with confidence that when the machine gives up its last gasp, I will have lost nothing important. Remember, I hand write everything, (except these blogs.) I also have all the CDs of my music and a sterio on which to play them.
However, without a computer my time on the web writing these blogs and E-mailing friends will be cut out completely. . . until I get a new machine.
For anyone familiar with the Dune series written by the late Frank Herbert, you will understand the term, "hydrolic dependancy." The Chinese came up with it a thousand years before the Romans. Build conduits where running water is distributed to the populace in such a fashion as to make going to the well or stream or river on a daily basis for water no longer necessary. After only one generation, going to the well, stream or river is considered "out-moded" and a waste of time. When the Goths, led by Aleric, sacked Rome, one of the things they did was destroy the conduits of free-flowing water. There was a marked social collapse. It is the same with electricity and all of the neat little gadgets our society has become reliant upon.
I will be upset if the computer dies before I get a new one, but I won't kill myself over it.

1 comment:

  1. Our computer had a hard drive failure in December and we purchased a new machine. I have music tracks on the old machine that we still need to hire a tech to retrieve. These PC's just aren't built to last. I give each new machine we purchase 3-4 years tops! Unless you go with a MAC, PC's don't last the test of time, especially when you really work them! Unfortunately, for all that we do we are reliant on our PC. For the next few years we are safe and I am backing everything up to an external hard drive just in case.

    Enjoyed what you are relating here, everyone and everything is so connected now to the NET that this could be the downfall of this time period. Similar to an Atlantis scenario.

    ReplyDelete